Realms of Kar'Kaish
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aeliana and Gwynlyn

4 posters

Go down

Aeliana and Gwynlyn Empty Aeliana and Gwynlyn

Post by Tentacle Therapist Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:47 pm

Name: Aeliana (Last name Undecided)

Title: Third daughter of the (undecided) bloodline.

Class: Princess

Song: Theme

Appearance: Standing only 3'3", she is rather short for being seven years old, probably a result of the somewhat questionable breeding practices that some royal lines employ. She is prim and proper in voice and step, when she chooses to be, and wears an extravagant purple dress that is has been unceremoniously cut of its train. Her hair is long a long light brown, put up into pigtails replete with curls, her eyes a dull shade of blue. Her feet are adorned with black formal-wear shoes, that she refuses to replace with more travel-appropriate footwear.
Spoiler:

Personality: Though she was raised to be on equal footing in the royal courts, the extensive training can't really be said to have stuck. The is proper when she needs to be, but often descends into a wide-eyed childhood curiosity that was cultivated by the boredom of her youth, and desire to break free from the bonds of her lineage. She is often blunt, but even when utilizing the skills of her upbringing she is lacking the cynicism of age to show sarcasm or real venom.

Skills:

Artistically Inclined: She had the basics of many arts forced onto her from a young age, painting, singing, string and woodwind instruments, poetry, and the like. Of all of them, she most preferred playing the violin, and is as well skilled with it for her age.

Precocious: Despite her "small" height problem, she is still rather beautiful for her age, and will no doubt grow to be quite the knockout. For now, however, she shall merely be resigned to "cute", and exceptionally so. The assumption that she is naught but a cute little girl is misleading however, as she is able in nuances of politics (even handling the dirty kind if need be), and is rather advanced for her age in many different skills oft associated with those of royal blood. Despite not being anywhere near the position, she is ready to be a queen if it is required of her, with all that entails.

Equipment:

(Undecided) Signet Ring: A momento of her family. She rather dislikes it, but brought it along on the suggestion of her bodyguard, as she can use it to throw political weight around if she needs to.

Currency: All of the lucre she obtained pawning off value bits and baubles of hers, is now under exclusive control of her bodyguard, after she nearly lost all of it to a "nice man and his card game". He was "persuaded" at sword-point as to the dangers of preying on the good intentions of little girls, and refunded the money.

Recent History: Born as the third daughter in the line, she was often neglected in favor of the more blessed first children. She was given a personal bodyguard, like most royalty, but was otherwise not treated as anything but a figurehead or doll. Eventually her father was succeded by her brother, but her brother went missing. The throne has not changed hands, and she rather fondly remembers her time spent with him, whether he agrees with the sentiment or not she does not know.

Being merely "another" child, and sick of her general mistreatment, she absconded with her loyal companion and now wanders without aim, trying to find meaning in herself and the world around her. She finds hope that perhaps she can find her brother, and reconnect, though she does not expect much.

===========================================================

Name: Gwynlyn (Undecided)

Title: (WIP)

Class: Protector

Song: Theme

Appearance:
Spoiler:

Personality: Gwynlyn is considerably less... cultured than her royal counterpart. Though she was taught the important aspects of respect for authority, manners, and protocol, these are only ever in effect when it is demanded of her. There is a certain amount of roughness to be expected of a bodyguard, and she definitely shows it, but considerably softens her demeanour when only in the presence of her mistress.

She is quite tolerant of mistakes, outbursts, and the like, but only from her mistress. She allows no quarter from those she does not serve, and that is Aeliana, and no other. Gwynlyn does not even hold a particular attachment to the land she and her mistress were born upon, or their families, caring only for her duty as a protector specifically to Aeliana.

Skills:

Dirty Swordfighting: Though not the more "traditional" meaning of "dirty", Gwynlyn still manages something that some swordsmen might call unsporting. Her favored weapon is the hand-and-a-half sword, as it allows for one-handed use when mobility or a free hand is required, but can be wielded two-handed for extra power. To that effect, she utilizes every part of her chosen weapon in combat. Blade, pommel, cross-guard, flat, even the fuller and rain guard. She is not opposed to wielding her scabbard as a weapon either, and this leads to a rather unorthodox, but undeniably effective fighting style, that often clashes with more traditional swordfighting.

As One, are Both: To be a good defensive fighter is not terribly difficult, but to do so and reliably protect both yourself and a non-combatant can be one of the most extreme of challenges. Ignoring the problems of accidentally striking an ally in a melee, one must also contend with sharing space, trampling, and stray,or deliberate, attacks from foes that might target one's less able ally.

Realizing that such a weakness would be an incredible liability to both her, and her mistress' safety, Gwynlyn sought to create a more instinctual means of dealing with the dangers of combat with Aeliana. To teach her mistress combat would be far too crude, and she would be a failure as a guardian if she did so, instead she instilled useful skills to Aeliana in a means that she was familiar with, dance.

Thus it was, that over the course of many months, Aeliana and Gwynlyn would dance. Aeliana would impart grace of movement onto Gwynlyn, and Gwynlyn would impart the feel for the flow of combat onto Aeliana. Eventually, this new form of dance became almost instinctual to the two, allowing them to share information quickly, concisely, and then to easily reposition the both of them to better suit the situation.

This is a decidedly different form of combat than Gwynlyn would use in single combat, but far too few are those who would initiate a combat honorably these days. But this fighting dance is a dance of protection, not death, and though both are generally more protected than they would be seperately, the offensive ability considerably drops.

I am my Master's Shield-: Gwynlyn's armor is decidedly light, or rather, it is sparse. There is, however, a reason for this. Above all, agility is important when protecting those important to you. If you cannot defend them properly, you must be their shield, and take the blows as punishment for your failure as a guard. This freedom of movement allows her to, if she has otherwise failed to prevent a blow that would strike her charge, interpose a bodypart to absorb the blow. A bodyguard shall die before they let harm come to the one they protect, and what is a limb to the life of one's master?

-And I am her Sword: If Gwynlyn is a bodyguard, she is also a loyal servant. If her mistress has wish of it, she will gladly slay any who stand in their way, regardless of repurcussions. She is bound by honor to use all of her power to achieve Aeliana's wishes. Though she may suggest alternate courses of action, if Aeliana earnestly desires something, she must accomplish it without question. Though this particular ability is not often utilized, it has another face to it entirely.

Those that threaten her charge will not be tolerated, regardless of her mistress' wishes. A bandit may merely want to kill them both, and steal their money. He will be dealt with, but poses no specific threat to her mistress. If a bandit specifically seeks out Aeliana, or some individual finds need to begin wage a campaign of any type against her however, then the sword will move without needing to be ordered.

Gwynlyn is filled with an almost unnatural fervor in these situations, suffering them not to continue. She will quickly and efficiently cut down all that is needed to keep her mistress safe, regardless of the ramifications of doing so. Any person that seeks to harm Aeliana will meet as swift and painful an end as is needed, and Gwynlyn fights all the harder to protect Aeliana from those threats that cannot as easily be dealt with.

Equipment:

Bastard Sword: Gwynlyn's sword was provided to her as she became a royal bodyguard. The weapon was needlessly ornate, and poorly balanced, more appropriate for show than anything else, but it has since been ground down of its prior extravagance, revealing a much more serviceable, and useable blade.

It once bore the markings of the royal court to which she was guard, but that has long since been removed, leaving smooth but obviously striated metal. The core is good quality steel, but the edges of the blade were forged in silver, being much harder and sharper, but more prone to chipping and cracking. The crossguard ends flat on either side, but turns up to produce somewhat sharp corners, making it effective with bludgeoning, or for puncturing if need be. The pommel once housed an ornate gem, clasped between a four-pointed setting, but Gwynlyn found it too gaudy and impractical, it threw off the balance of the sword, and was a nuisance, so she sold the gem in preparation for her and her mistress' departure, and had the points of the setting replaced with sturdier versions to act as a sword catcher, breaker, and puncturing instrument if need be.

Armor: Overly large shoulderpads dominate the set, being effective at deflecting arrows and crossbow bolts. Long metal gloves that cover the forearms allow using one's arm as a shield if need be. The breastplate she wears is thin and segmented, providing trivial protection in exchange for mobility, and Shin-guards that go up to the knee round out the set, though they do not protect the back, as to allow full range of motion. Between these metal pieces is only bits of leather, whose protection can be considered negligible at best.

Backstory:

Last edited by Tentacle Therapist on Mon May 28, 2012 11:08 pm; edited 5 times in total
Tentacle Therapist
Tentacle Therapist

Back to top Go down

Aeliana and Gwynlyn Empty Re: Aeliana and Gwynlyn

Post by CromTheConqueror Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:27 am

Eadhaolin would be a perfect fit for an aristocrat and a sworn bodyguard. Though I'm not sure if it conflicts too much with your backstory that the throne of Eadhaolin is unoccupied. What is the guard from (the picture)?
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by Tentacle Therapist Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:42 am

It is from DeviantArt, as in, presumably original.
Tentacle Therapist
Tentacle Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by MidgetNinja Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:13 am

Tuv, what did I tell you about 'self insert fanfiction' I know you really want to be a little princess, but I do have to question the feasibility of a seven year old prim and proper nobling wander about a warzone, or really any place interesting that might be rp worthy.

Also, ha ha I'm funny.

MidgetNinja

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:37 am

You shouldn't insult someone, playfully or otherwise, for rping a wide range of characters.

It's also not a terribly uncommon premise. The guardian is honor-bound to protect but also to follow commands.

I do have to wonder at "She is exceptionally cute." being a skill.. it feels far more appropriately placed in the Appearance section.

Looks nice so far, but I definitely see the influence of the idea of her being from the Mearc. Hopefully we can figure it out with Bronx at some point.

Looking forward to more development.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rokk.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Tentacle Therapist Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:59 pm

Admin wrote:I do have to wonder at "She is exceptionally cute." being a skill.. it feels far more appropriately placed in the Appearance section.

There are more implications given to the word "Precocious" that I saw fit not to list, as it may very well take an essay unto itself. The majority of it can be summed up in the definition of the word however. "Having developed certain abilities or proclivities at an earlier age than usual." One example would be being slightly prettier than someone of her age should be "Children are generally pretty ugly as far as I'm concerned, as was put in. Another would be having slightly higher mental capabilities than the age would denote, as royal training would tend to do that. A wealth of personal skills that might be drilled into the head of a royal candidate (no matter how distant), like bookkeeping, writing, reading, etc.

That skill could effectively be re-fluffed to say "Better at lots of things than her age may imply, may very well be misleading." But that isn't as fun I don't think.
Tentacle Therapist
Tentacle Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:33 pm

The actual description you have is a bit misleading, but that's fine.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:01 am

What exactly do you mean by her chest plate being thin and segmented (what does it look like)? Traditionally the most armored part of a soldier is the torso because it is the center of mass. This applies to everyone from rangers, to duelists, to light calvary. Why so different for her? Additionally, I'd be interested in a bit more detail in the personality. List a quirk or two.

I think this is a real unique character idea (at least for forum roleplaying) and I enjoy the whole dance idea to get the little girl not to kill herself in battle. I'm interested in the history for the bodyguard and why she's so devoted to this girl.

CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by Tentacle Therapist Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:14 am

With the breastplate, it means that it is made of a few interlocking pieces, that operate in a manner similar to how articulated plate allows movement. Essentially just, unlike what normal body armor might do, this allows bending of the torso forward and backward to a significant degree. It was the best consolation for defence that she could make, without otherwise hampering the ease of movement she generally needs. In exchange, it is rather unprotective, and the interlocking bits make good spots for specifically aimed attacks.

This lack of armor ends up working somewhat synergistically with the whole "dancing" thing, since the majority of movement will be likely reminiscent of circles, with her keeping her side facing the enemy more than not, protecting the face with pauldrons, and the the body with the armor on her arm, and if need be, the arm itself.

As far as personality goes, well, I can't REALLY get a good picture of how they act, until I actually start RPing them in some capacity. At best I can provide generalities, as it is likely to change a bit once I actually get into character, as is often the case with characters I make for anything.

Backstory is likewise rather sparse, me sticking to the bare basics of what is required for the moment. Not because I don't know what happened, but again, more because I need Bronx. These two backstories also feel like something I should build up in-character, instead of just plopping down in their entirety on the sheet. Because DRAMA.
Tentacle Therapist
Tentacle Therapist

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Looks good. We'll see where they go in RP.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down