Realms of Kar'Kaish
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Conclave Crusade

4 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Conclave Crusade - Page 3 Empty Re: Conclave Crusade

Post by Admin Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:31 pm

The sun loomed high overhead, shining brightly in a cloudless sky. Seleyna wouldn't normally be out during the day, but even though the heat was almost unbearable and her exposed pale skin burned, she had a duty to uphold.

Kaim had ordered almost all of the Nightslayers south to check the invaders' progress. Well, Seleyna thought, that wasn't exactly true. It was Koechev who had ordered the Nightslayers, since it was he who lead them. Such a discrepancy mattered little, because all of Kailzimoth did as Kaim willed.

Such a discrepancy was impressed upon them by Koechev, saying it was important to distinguish a chain of command. Kaim leads all, but not everyone takes orders directly from him. Seleyna understood such importance and was placed in command of the 3rd West Stalkers. She'd normally be stationed around Cazny, trying to reclaim the last great city of Kailzimoth from the wraiths, but an invasion was unprecedented and demanded all available forces.

She was glad to be away from Cazny. Killing wraiths felt too much like killing a part of oneself. Sometimes a fellow Nightslayer would recognize a kill. Although they contained themselves as any Nightslayer would, the haunted look in their eyes always betrayed them.

It was worse for the Kailzim initiates. To become a Nightslayer, each initiate must track and kill a wraith. Newly accepted members often spoke of how haunting it is to kill a wraith for the first time, wondering if they had once been a neighbor or a friend. They only told the story once, though. There was no room within the Nightslayers for softness.

The Kait'el didn't have that problem, though they lacked the strength and endurance of a Kailzim. The Nightslayers was one of the few groups who allowed Kait'el to fill their ranks. The consensus was that if they were strong enough, mentally and physically, to kill a wraith, then they should be called brother or sister. Seleyna even had a few of them under her command.

No matter why, everyone would feel better facing a new, less horrifying enemy. Seleyna did wonder, though, if when her Kait'el killed some of the invaders, would they feel the same when she killed her first wraith? It mattered little. Just like the extermination of the wraiths was necessary, so too would be the extermination of these invaders. The Nightslayers were very good at extermination.

They were also good at a lot of other things. Nightslayers were known for their ability to sneak up upon wraiths, a near impossible task given their acute senses. They also left no trace of their presence, just a body to appeal to the wraith's bloodscent and attract more to the killing field. If there were elite soldiers of Kailzimoth beyond the Royal Guard, it would be the Nightslayers.

Seleyna sank back into the surrounding foliage, glad to be comforted by darkness, once she had confirmed a presence in Viga for herself. Reports had gone throughout all of the hunters and patrols that the invaders were stationed in Viga and were establishing another base in a village one-third of the way north towards Piotren. They had ships docked and sending them supplies from a river south of Viga, supposedly the same one everyone's ancestors once used to found the kingdom.

The invaders also tried to keep a low profile, though it did little to protect them from the eyes and ears of the Kailzim. They hadn't been attacked very often by the wraiths, though, so their actions perhaps deserved some merit.

Seleyna withdrew further into the forest, moving soundlessly with the skill of years of necessary experience. She knew of the hunting packs in the area and knew that they would strike soon. The Nightslayers would take the opportunity to learn of their opponent, just as they learned about the wraiths, and then strike with practiced, deadly precision.

These invaders did not know what yet faced them. They would, soon.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://rokk.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MidgetNinja Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:26 am

"An Inquisitor yes," said Vander with a straight face, "one who could kill you where you stand, and only be inconvenienced by paperwork afterwards."

He held the straight face and serious tone a for a noticeable moment, until a smile and a laugh betrayed his dark little 'joke.'

"I'm not sure the specifics of what 'this' as you so causally put it 'is all about,' but I've been able to deduce that they expect me the tall rough and tumbled gentleman to go on a walk about this godsforsaken country side and do...something," explained Vander, before a smile of mischief formed on his face, "Naturally I volunteered you, and our young lady acquaintance to accompany us, I couldn't bare the thought of venturing about enemy territory without the comforting knowledge that you, Douvel were watching my back."

He laughed again at that, hand idling playing with the saber at his waist, idly considering a joke about 'field research' before thinking better of it...

"As for those fine gentlemen over that, might I introduce the many eyes and ears of one Circle Master Sazil," explained Vander, with just a hint of...distaste, on his tongue, "Don't look now but they might detest me more then you Douvel, if you can imagine that, though I'd be as pissed as they are if I had to split one personality between myself all my fellow bootlickers..."

He noticed them noticing Nacatha at that, a moment before they noticed him noticing them. He smiled cheekily, a taunting little wave sent to Alexander with a certain...threat lingering as his sightless eyes locked with the glorified arsewiper.

"Bad as they are," he began again, turning back to Douvel, "It seems they do, at the least, have an appreciation for quality, if their lingering eyes on Lady Nacatha are a telling indication of their interest..."

His words carried a certain, weighted warning in them as he turned to Douvel with all seriousness, "I think it would be best for all involved if they lost that interest as expediently as possible...don't you agree?"

Meanwhile, Ezsrah, doing his best not to over hear as he knew from experience that nothing good came of eavesdropping on an Inquisitor or in fact learning his secrets.

So instead he turned his scrutiny upon Nacatha, as Marcus was still quite busy glaring at the 'Circle of Sazil.'

"Oh I imagine we have more in common then you might think," he said with that certain smile he still couldn't quite get a handle on, "I wouldn't say I don't exactly have a choice in the matter...but at the same time the alternatives are, hard as it is to imagine, even more unpleasant then this..."

He didn't go any further, if she was interested, and an another opportunity for them to speak presented itself, she would ask, and mayhaps he might even explain himself. Until then he was a little curious himself.

"Tell me, you say you are not here of you free will, yet I spy no chains about you," he said with a earnest curiousity in his voice, "What compels you to stay when you would so rather go?"

MidgetNinja

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:54 am

Douvel was suprisingly unbothered by Vander's death threat. The truth was that if the man had any intention to kill them he would have done so long ago. In fact the Eadhaolin noble was disappointed. Such blantant threats were the word play of peasants. And despite what he may have thought or said before he truly did consider Vander better than that. Not much better. But better nonetheless.

It seemed the man was off his game. Which meant that he was nervous. Whether he wanted to admit it or not he genuinely knew about as much as Douvel did when he walked into the briefing. Which meant absolutely nothing at all. Douvel marked Vander as a brave man, perhaps bordering on dangerous bravado, but only an utter fool would consider venturing into the dark mists of the land without some sense of wariness. But then again Douvel wouldn't rule Vander being an utter fool.

He ignored Vander comment on inviting them on the mission -that sting while not gone had at least numbed slightly- and focused on his answer to his question. Sazil? A Circle Master of the Conclave who while only recently raised had already gained a reputation for being one of the most decisive and active members of the Masters Circle. He was not suprised to see his men here though he wondered what part they planned to play in the field mission. Would Sazil really risk his own men for what Douvel guessed a scouting mission? Or had they just had the poor luck of being drafted for the job by Lord Inquisitor Stockly outside the protection of Sazil's domineering influence. Mayhaps, there was more to it though. And Sazil had actually instructed they join. Though that begged the question of exactly what they were supposed to do.

Douvel's head swirled with possibility. Far more questions than answers. Still he supposed they would be answered soon. Besides Vander had spoken again of Nacatha. Douvel agreed with the man's words but was not sure what to do about it. It was notoriously hard to deflect the curiousity of Inquisitors and truly Vander had only himself to blame having brought her here.

He told him that.
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:05 am

Inquisitor Alexander could tell from they way they were talking and the looks they were giving that whatever Arch Inquisitor Vander was saying about them, it wasn't pleasant.

That's fine. I have some rather unpleasant words for him as well.

Alexander's eyes returned to the girl and the mercenary she was discoursing with.

If one thing's for certain about the Arch Inquisitor, it's that he keeps very interesting company...

He leaned and whispered to Terristria, letting the junior Inquisitor know that if Alexander were to come up with a plan, he should follow his lead.

It was unlikely they would find anything in this horrible place, so they may as well see if they can bring back a peculiar young woman for Sazil. The mercenary might not be a poor acquisition either.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ageofthewolf Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:32 am

Nacatha glanced at the Sazil group for a moment before looking back to Ezsrah as he spoke to her again, she leaned towards him again to speak to him. "Chains are not always required to hold someone against their will...simply put if the man in the red next to me loses sight of me even for a moment Mister Pompous Inquisitor over here will have me killed." She glanced towards Vander for a moment before looking back to Ezsrah then at the Sazil group again. -Why do they keep bleeding looking at me.-

Ageofthewolf

Back to top Go down

Post by MidgetNinja Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:29 am

"Perhaps," conceded Vander to Douvel diplomatically, "But I need to know what she can do in the field, and I can hardly have a rogue mage wandering about idly questioning random Inquisitor what the big deal with this whole 'Conclave' business was..."

He truly wandered if Douvel had the slightest inkling of how lucky he was that Vander was not a different, much more common, sort of Inquisitor entirely. The advantages of a 'big picture' mindset.

"As it is, we cannot afford to leave her unsupervised in the midst of the camp, and much as I loath to call however you went about watching her last night 'supervision' I've more then made you exceedingly aware that your life is on the life , and as a noble you enjoy living quite a bit I wager," he said simply, with the sternness of his Inquisitor voice, "seeing as our goals are thusly similar, if not for the same reasons, I can trust you, and for what it's worth, in so far as this matter is concerned, you have my word that you can trust me."

"For now take comfort in the fact that our would-be antagonists know both you and lady Nacatha are 'with me' so to speak, which means they will be cautious with their inevitable approach, and they will endeavor not to do so in my presence. All you have to do Douvel, is act as a manner of buffer between them and her until they get the hint."

His playful smile returned at that, as he continued, "And do cheer up man, if you play your cards right, I'll see too it you that your back home before you know it. Yelling at your serfs for not properly fluffing your pillow, or putting one sugar cube in your tea when you specifically asked for two. You know, important matters of the estate and such."

Ezsrah for his part, frowned at the idle mention of death threats detaining Nacatha...and then turned his attention to the Arch Inquisitor in question.

"I have to say he doesn't seem all that terribly threatening," he said simply after a moments consideration, "In fact it would seem to me, he'd be more likely to threaten someone to gauge their reaction then to get them to do his bidding...more 'Inquisitive' then out right dangerous."

He smiled again at his attempt at humor, before taking notice of the group so intently noticing her, "Like they've never seen a pretty girl before," he said out loud before he could stop himself...

MidgetNinja

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:12 pm

Douvel held back a scowl at Vander’s explanation but he couldn’t deny it made sense. In Douvel’s opinion there was almost nothing more annoying than arguing with someone that was right. But that wasn’t a reason to argue further. So instead he swallowed his pride and continued on. At least the man understood the important issues of an estate.

“Perhaps,” admitted Douvel grudgingly.

That wasn’t to say he trusted the Arch Inquisitor to look out for him and Nacatha. But at least it was probably true in that he could trust Vander to do what was best for Vander. And for the time being, that meant protecting Nacatha who he had staked a genuine interest in and therefore Douvel by extension. The man was enigmatic for an Inquisitor which was fortunate. He would not throw them to the wolves just yet, though Douvel planned to be on guard for when he did. Not that he would even necessarily blame the man. It was the nature of such affairs to turn on those who were no longer of use to you. It happened in capital politics all the time.

“Though it would help,” continued Douvel, “If those men got the hint before we left on our field mission. Our task would be quite a bit easier were it to be done without the eyes of Sazil staring over at our shoulder.”

He finished his last words pointedly as he eyed the Inquisitor making it very clear what he wanted of the man. To use his position to ensure they went on this little escapade alone. It was true Douvel might later regret not having the extra swords but the benefit of not constantly looking over his shoulder, at least no more than he already did, would prove more advantageous.

Douvel was about to speak once again when the tall swords men once again spoke, this time commenting on Nacatha’s features. Douvel did not disagree with anything the man said, in fact he supported it heartily, but once again Douvel felt something rise in his chest and he unconsciously shot the man a cold look.
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by Ageofthewolf Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:51 am

"I doubt that is the reason they are looking at me...thanks for the compliment though...I think they might be friends of Vander since he apparently wants me watched at all times..." She sighed glancing back at Vander and Douvel as they continued to talk. "Why did i have leave my tent that night..." she sighed again before looking back at Ezsrah. "So what exactly are you doing here Ezsrah?"

Ageofthewolf

Back to top Go down

Post by MidgetNinja Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:34 pm

"Don't fret my friend of convenience," said Vander, smiling with reassurance, "I fully intend to do everything within my power to ensure our relative privacy on our upcoming little field trip."

At this point the pre-briefing murmurs were dying out as the last of the attendees entered and took their seats.

"But it appears the time for conversation has passed, why don't we take our seat and see what this business is really all about," Vander ventured, taking a seat on one of the long benches brought in for the briefing, a particularly clear one near the back, motioning for Douvel and his 'company' to do the same.

Marcus took his queue quickly taking a seat to the Inquisitor's right, as Ezsrah began moving with them, seeing as no where else was readily available to sit, and he didn't actually know anyone else here anyway. He took the seat next to Marcus.

"I don't think they're friends," spoke Ezsrah helpfully, as he walked genuinely curious at the situation, "look closely, they're glaring at him almost as much as they're studying you."

He had enough time to insist his presence here was the result of an agonizingly long story, and offer the seat next to him before a loud voice of considerable authority called the briefing to order...

MidgetNinja

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:39 pm

Alexander spoke quietly to the two observers in their group to move aside and remain standing away from the main table and benches. They were both of no real import, just hired men who had shown their loyalty to the Inquisition, and, more importantly, to Master Sazil.

Terristria brushed away Alexander's hand before the senior Inquisitor could place it on his shoulder and sat down for the briefing. Alexander took a seat next to him. They didn't have a position directly across from Vander and his group, but they were on the opposite side of the room.

The two Inquisitors shared a very brief look that spoke simply.

For now, we wait. If there is an opportunity, and it is advantageous, it will be taken.

They could afford to pursue such ventures. There were a couple other Inquisitors and a handful more soldiers loyal to Sazil that were stationed here. Their absence would be missed only if they returned empty-handed.

That is, if there was anything to leave for in the first place.

Last edited by Admin on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:46 pm

Douvel took a seat to Vander's left.
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by MidgetNinja Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:14 am

"Gentlemen," greeted Stockly regally in a solemn greeting as he stood poised behind the table at the focal point of the room, to his right stood Trivick, framed by a black board freshly pulled into the room, with a detailed geographic map of the area, with clear marking representing the Crusades current progress and their ultimate goal. To his left, and much more demurely stood Dolf, looking just a bit out of place now that all the attention in the room was so clearly on them.

"I know we're all busy at this early stage, so I won't wait your time or mince words," spoke Stockly again, the weight of the ages seemingly hanging on every word he spoke, "Getting right into it, we'll start with a sit rep with our current status and disposition, Dolf."

"Ahem, uh yes well," said Inquisitor somewhat timidly introduction, before his voice slowly transitioned into a smooth monotone, "As it stands right now, we've successfully established a beach head in enemy territory, fulfilling the first phase in our operations here. We've 5,000 fighting troops, of which 3,000 are mercenary, 1,000 are Conclave Militant Arms Corps, and the last thousand are comprised of Allied Nations forces. Supporting that number are twelve hundred support and axillary men, and another five thousands troops that expected to arrive in the following weeks, in shipments numbering between five hundred and 2,000."

At this Stockly waved Dolf down, who took a moment to get the hint before surrendering the floor to the Lord Inquisitor.

"For now our relatively shot supply lines are sufficient for the numbers we have to sustain, short term they should suffice and continue to suffice once the fullness of are numbers are present."

Trivick stepped forward at that, a self assurance and confidence about him that was almost infectious.

"But more importantly to our immediate situation is a current supply we are woefully short on, information, all that we do know now is from the Inquisitorial review that declared this crusade and is now months out of date, which means we have to move cautiously and feel the location out, which leaves us a very large, very slow, target."

He let his words sink in for a bit at that, before continuing.

"Here's what we do know, scout reports and initial contact indicate the opposition is in some manner of civil war, loyalists, and 'Ferals' as they seem to be called. We know next to nothing of the 'Ferals, but the Loyalists are our primary concern. Of them we know swear allegiance first and only to their Emperor Kaim, and they seem to be organized into loosely associated hunting parties as opposed to out and out battle groups. They've a great deal of maneuverability, but not much staying power. We're expecting hit and run tactics, aimed mostly at our supply lines, plans are already being drawn up on how to bring them to open battle where we can wipe them out all at once and be done with it, for now we've doubled the guards at the picket lines, and we've also placed a heavy Blade presence amongst the caravan guard."

Again he paused, letting the information they knew pool in their collect thoughts before venturing further.

"It's not much to go on, but it's the best we have for now, which brings me to the primary point of this meeting," he said, moving to the large map against the Black Board, "Two days ago, we made first contact with the enemy, a well armed scouting party ran afoul of them running afoul of a band of Ferals. Seizing the initiative the scouts moved against the enemy party as they were moping up. Two kills were confirmed, and 3 more of their number were wounded before the rest; five, eight in total, withdrew into the woods," he said, pointing to a section of them map to the east of the main camp, "Roughly here, we've kept something of an eye on them sense, and they seem to be hold up licking their collective wounds, either waiting for reinforcements or something else we're not sure, but what we are sure of is we are not going to sit idly on our hands when presented with such a golden opportunity to seize the advantage."

He paused again, several whispers in his audience barely audible in the ensuing silence.

"Gentlemen, what I am proposing is a swift tactical action. A small elite team, venturing into enemy territory, acquiring with a live, in tact prisoner, and returning with him so he might be properly persuaded to enlighten us about his home..."

Last edited by MidgetNinja on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

MidgetNinja

Back to top Go down

Post by Ageofthewolf Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:22 pm

Nacatha set down next to Ezsrah sighing for a moment as she looked around at the rest of the people as they were sitting. As they briefing started she watched the man speaking. "Kaim....you cant be serious..." She looked over at Douvel for a moment leaning forward to do so before looking back forward. "Great..."

Ageofthewolf

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:03 am

Fuck. That was the only thing that came to Douvel's mind. It seemed as if everything Douvel had feared had been confirmed in the last five minutes. Douvel was....shocked at the amount of knowledge they had managed to gather. Douvel had always been a big believer in the belief that military intelligence was the biggest irony invented by man but it appeared the Inquisition had done its job well. At least as well as could be expected considering the data was several months old.

The mission itself did not seem that dangerous. Go up to a cave, let Vander and his Blade deal with the creatures of the land, and then come home. But Douvel knew just enough to understand things probably wouldn't work out that way.

Long ago when he was a fledgling mage he had been told to fetch a pail of water for his master from a well. It had seemed obscenely easy the time. It was only later he learned that the the well of water was over a hill and through the woods which just happened to have been recently occupied by bandits. It was a messy affair that included being nearly kidnapped and killed but eventually he had gotten the pail of water. When he came back he had been furious. Even afraid of his master as he had been at the time he couldn't help but lash out at him. Was the old man insane?

Instead of taking the lash to him, as he normally would, the man had merely paused and stared at him intently.

"This is important young Tout," he had told him calmly as he stared at him through large unlinking blue eyes, "Nothing in this world is simple. And the simpler it appears the more complicated it probably is. You have found this already true with magic and you will find it true with everything else in life as well. Hold this above all lessons I teach you. Life is not simple."

The words had struck Douvel then and he was incapable of not recounting them now. Chances were there would be a rescue attempt by these savages to keep their brothers from being captured. As it stood there might be far more of these monsters than the Inquisition thought. And there was nothing to ensure they wouldn't run into an enemy war band trying to accomplish the exact thing they were on the way there. This mission would be anything but simple.

Fuck.

Last edited by CromTheConqueror on Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by MidgetNinja Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:56 am

Whispers and murmurers circulated throughout the room again at that revelation, louder still then the last time, but they died quickly as Lord Stockly took center stage.

"Our own Arch Inquisitor Vander has volunteered to lead the mission, and has personally assembled his team," he said sternly, eying the crowd speculatively as he spoke, "They will depart this afternoon, with a window of 3 days time to complete their mission and return. They'll link up with the scouting detail we've had on the target, assess the situation, strike, and attempt to take as many of them alive as possible, realistically we're aiming for at least three."

"Questions? Comments? Concerns?"

MidgetNinja

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:01 am

Alexander briefly touched Terristria's shoulder as his hands hooked into the base of his hood and lifted it up and behind him, letting his blonde bangs fall to the side of his face. Terristria followed suit, revealing his short brown hair, but remained silent.

"Lord Inquisitor, if I may inquire, how many does the Arch Inquisitor's current entourage number?"

Alexander's voice sounded of smooth silk, likely the result of much practice. There might be some deal of noble blood pumping through his veins.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MidgetNinja Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:15 am

Vander considered retorting openly to the question himself for a moment, mostly as a cheeky 'I thumb my nose at thee' to Sazil's sewing circle, but thought better of it. It was an innocent enough question in and of itself, despite it's less then innocent intentions.

"12," said Stockly simply, he himself famously having little patience for the intricacies of Conclave politics, always seeing them as interfering with the job, "Himself, the Captain of his Blades, two mages from The Order of the Blazing Sun, 7 escorts including their Captain, and a single scout."

MidgetNinja

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:49 am

"Lord Inquisitor, it is my opinion that number is insufficient for this mission. I have two prime concerns."

He paused for just a moment, looking over at Nacatha.

"The young lady that I'm sure will be accompanying him has, as I'm sure everyone can see for themselves, some very... interesting markings. I'm not sure it is wise to bring her on such a dangerous mission. I would question such a decision, but I understand that the Arch Inquisitor has a better grasp of the situation than I. If she must go, I believe she should have an escort dedicated to herself. I'm sure the Inquisition doesn't want to lose such an asset needlessly."

He allowed another moment for that thought to sink in before continuing, looking over to the Arch Inquisitor.

"My second concern is that Arch Inquisitor Vander is going without an Inquisitorial backing. I understand he has his Blade," another pause, nodding towards Marcus, "but unless I'm mistaken the group lacks proper Inquisitors. More members of the Inquisition should be present to support this effort, especially if prisoners are taken or evidence must be examined at the mission site. Worse yet, if anything should befall the Arch Inquisitor, there would no Inquisitors present to deal with the situation and assume Inquisitorial Direction if needed."

Alexander looked back towards the Lord Inquisitor. "If you agree that my concerns have any merit, Lord Inquisitor, then I believe several Inquisitors should accompany this mission. While any Inquisitors could fill this task, I nominate myself and Inquisitor Terristria. We currently do not have many responsibilities here, and what responsibilities we have can be spoken for in our absence. Attending this mission and helping to ensure its success would be, in my opinion, a more efficient and meaningful use of our time and skill."

A final pause before Alexander spoke his final thoughts on the matter.

"Lord Inquisitor, with your permission, Inquisitor Terristria and I will accompany the Arch Inquisitor on this mission."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MidgetNinja Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:00 am

The Lord Inquisitor had but a few moments to consider these concerns before Vander inevitably spoke up.

"Ma'Lord, I believe I can alleviate the lad's fears," spoke the Arch Inquisitor in question, "with your leave of course."

Lord Stockly could only heave a dejected sigh at the political scwabling that was about to come, but merely offered a annoyed, "Proceed," before slumping into his chair indignantly, already rubbing little circles into his temples.

Vander for his part either didn't notice, or much more likely, chose to ignore Lord Stockly's plight, simply managing a simple nod of respect to the distressed Lord Inquisitor as he rose to address the council and his 'colleague.'

"First off I shall admit that Inquisitor Alexander's concerns are valid, important, and worth no small amount of consideration," he began, agreeably, in his disarmingly charming manner, "I know this, because I've already given them all due consideration when I was assembling this team...well almost all of them...frankly I'm not sure what his issues with the young ladies tattoos are, I mean, we were all kids once...well except for perhaps the esteemed Inquisitor in question, I don't believe Sazil allowed any of that frivolity, which probably explains a great deal when you think about it."

A few concealed chuckles were heard about the room, most notably from known supporters of Vander.

"But I digress-"

"-yes you do," said the Lord Inquisitor, mostly to himself, still more focused on alleviating the throbbing in his temples.

"-there are legitimate concerns among the 'less then so,' chiefly the number of Inquisitors accompanying me, more specifically that I am the only one, and yes I agree it would be a troubling issue if I were to be unable to fulfill my duties during the course of the mission, I am...reasonable sure, in the ability of my cohorts to tell the difference between a body that is living and one that is not..."

Laughter came again, a little more pronounced, but still stifled to the best ability of the crowd.

"And while I am flattered that the good Inquisitors are so concerned for my safety that they would throw caution into the wind and boldly follow me where no man has gone before, I must insist our numbers remain minimal to ensure our speed, the cornerstone if success is to be had in this case, without compromising our safety."

At this Vander sat back down, content that his point had been made, even as Dolf moved forward to whisper into Stockly's ear, who for his part had ceased rubbing his temples at some point during Vander's speech.

"Does that satisfy your concerns Alexander?" Stockly said, while at the same time managing to infer, 'May we please move on already?'

MidgetNinja

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:18 am

Inquisitor Alexander took most notice to the statements about the lady's tattoos. When he heard that Vander was going to 'agree somewhat but follow with a verbal jab and dismissal' about the rest, he turned a mostly deaf ear to it and thought quickly. After all, Inquisitor Alexander cared little for Vander. True, he was a senior officer, and had done many a thing to earn that position, but surely his reckless behavior would not be terribly missed. Alexander harbored no thoughts of intentionally doing anything to the Arch Inquisitor, but would not be dismayed by his loss.

Alexander sensed that Terristria tensed at something Vander had said. He really needs to lighten up, poor lad. This was the only other thought Alexander afforded. He sensed that Vander had finished and the Lord Inquisitor addressed him. Alexander looked at Vander, to the Lord Inquisitor, then slowly back to Vander and behind him to one of his observers. The observer looked him directly in the eyes and nodded simply but sternly to Alexander.

Let him dig his own grave then.

Inquisitor Alexander turned back to the meeting, hoping that Vander had seen the emphasis he took with turning to his subordinate and the subsequent nod. If not seen, as he knew Vander could not, at least sensed with whatever sight the man did possess.

"Since Arch Inquisitor Vander assures that the lady's tattoos are not magical in nature, and is therefore no special asset to the Conclave, I have no further concerns, Lord Inquisitor."

At best, he removes himself from his position and we assume his resources. At worst, the information I received was faulty, but I am guilty of nothing.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:09 pm

Nikolei drug his tongue up along the full height of his sword, savoring the taste of blood that coated it. While the blood of livestock was enough to sate hunger, the blood of a Kait'el was delicious and a very, very rare treat. Only the human enemies of Kaim could be eaten; the blood of allied humans was used strictly for magic or in extreme emergencies, and not a soul would dare drink from a feral.

He caught the eye of the lieutenant and stopped licking his blade to bow his head in respect as the officer passed. Nikolei returned to drinking, guessing the lieutenant was moving to check on the butcher.

These were terrible times indeed, Nikolei thought. Given enough time, these rebellious Kait'el would be brought to heel. Time was something no one longer had. They were too close to the enemy and could not risk leaving these humans free. They could tell the enemy too much information, allow them to live off the land, help them establish a permanent hold. That could not be allowed.

They had been found amongst their settlement deep in the forest. They had been offered to join the kingdom, or they would be killed. There would be no mercy. Nikolei couldn't decide whether their refusal was noble or foolish, so he decided the matter was pointless. These people were killed and now their homes were being dismantled for anything useful, their food was divided amongst the friendly Kait'el, and their bodies drained of blood and butchered for the Kailzim. When their supplies were filled, the remainder would be shipped off to the local commissary. Once the runners had been updated with information from the commissary, they would move to another position.

The unit Nikolei was in was very unique. The Royal Guard went through its first rotation a few years ago and the senior members retired after training the new initiates. Afterwards, most of the senior members formed what was considered Kailzimoth's only army, dubbed "The Will of Kaim." A small portion consisted of these senior members, all powerful warriors and mages. The rest of the ranks were filled with promising young men and women such as Nikolei. They were all well supplied, well equipped, and well trained. The closest comparison to The Will would be the Nightslayers, though how either group functioned varied wildly.

Nikolei finished with his blade and wrapped a clean cloth along it to remove his saliva. Any remaining blood would stain the cloth, which would be later boiled out with other bloody clothes and served as broth when rations were low.

"Nikolei," his lieutenant spoke behind him. He turned carefully around on his sitting stone to look at his superior officer.

"What is your command, ser?"

The lieutenant waited a moment before answering. "Not all of the bodies will be butchered. We're leaving a third of them alone and soaked. In a few days, they will be carried south to the river to be washed downstream. The General believes this will lure most of the southern wraiths to the boats where the invaders are docked. I'm going to lead this mission, and you will be with me. Select eight others that I may find suitable to join us, then bring them to help construct the carts to carry the bodies. We will move as soon as we receive Commissariat authentication."

"Yes ser." Nikolei rose, wiping the cloth delicately across the rest of the blade before sheathing it in a clean motion. "I will do so immediately."

"Be along, then."

Nikolei nodded his head in respect to the lieutenant, then walked away back towards the camps. He knew he was being considered for officer promotion, and the lieutenant was testing him. Regardless as to the reason why, every soldier in The Will would carry out the orders the same. Any level of respect less and they wouldn't be a part of The Will.

The plan, Nikolei thought, was ingenious. They could wipe away the foothold the enemy had and then finish them while they starved and lost morale. That sort of thinking was what set aside true commanders and simple links on the chain of command. Nikolei hoped he had what it took to be on the right side of that distinction.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MidgetNinja Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:04 am

"Very Good," said Lord Stockly, visably relieved, "Moving on to proposed perimeter defenses at the soon to be established forward base..."

The meeting managed to sustain itself for another hour after that, though Vander for his part was too busy considering...other notions, to give it the proper attentions.

The forefront of which was Alexander, whom seemed to know more then he rightly should, which meant he likely had someone keeping an eye on the girl as well...who, how, and most importantly why were the the three most important questions rattling about Vander's mind at the moment.

He leant to Marcus, and whispered something into his trusted friend's ear, who nodded grimly, and began oh so subtly scanning the room...

Three minutes of this were all it took to confirm Vander's suspicions.

Though truth be told the situation was already poised to resolve itself, he highly doubted Alex had any eyes and ears stupid enough to attempt to tail a military detachment on high alert, and he knew for a fact that his team was clear of any potential leaks...

The matter of his current tail would have to be resolved when he returned of course, but there was plenty of time for that later.

In reality the young buck had made a very poor choice, he'd played his hand too early, and now Vander knew the measure of his opponent while still retaining a few cards up his own sleeves.

A satisfied smile was firmly upon his face as the Lord Inquisitor adjourned the briefing, which managed to remain even when Stockly requested a word in private, calling him from the crowd back into his makeshift study.

It stood firm right up until the wizened overly grim man spoke...

"I trust you've a very good reason why you went about lying to your fellow Inquisitor and the rest of the Crusades command staff about the young woman in question," he said, speaking with a stern plainess that wiped Vander smile of satisfaction away, replacing it with his intense 'Inquisitor' persona.

"I take it then," he said, after a moments shocked pause, "That you've been intercepting my correspondence Lord Greax."

"Actually he was kind enough to inform me of the matter himself," rebutted Stockly, sliding a sheet of rune paper with Vander's superior's emblem burned into it.

Vander scanned the document in question, before a smile, more forced then usual, came to him, "How decidedly courteous of him," he said at last, though it sound closer to, 'how decidedly annoying of him...'

"It's a dangerous game your playing Vander," said Stockly, his eyes narrowed, "I trust it wont interfere with our objectives here..."

"Rest assured, while our methods might be different, our goals are the same," said Vander, smiling easier now with reassurance, "Though I am flattered that you thought I could derail the entire crusade by myself."

"Yes well, I've read your reports."

"Riveting reads aren't they?"

"In some manner or other I suppose..."

There were five solid minutes where nothing was said as the two men stood on the opposite ends of the study silently judging each other, before Stockly calmly dismissed Vander, whom left to make final preparations at the team's rendezvous.

Ezsrah meanwhile stuck close to Nacatha for a bit after the briefing let out.

"I'd perhaps keep whatever knowledge you have of the enemy's leader to yourself," he advised cautiously, escorting her clear of the crowd to Douvel, who seemed to be waiting up for her, "But I suppose you have to prepare for the journey ahead as much as I do, I shall see you later then."

He bowed to her at the waist then, before abruptly disappearing into the crowd...

MidgetNinja

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Douvel waited patiently for Nacatha to join him as the assembly of men broke apart. The proceedings had gone as he had expected them too, and after the short exchange on the issue of Nacatha, he had largely drowned the meeting out. The challenge by inquisitor Alexander had set him on edge but he was comforted by the quick dismissal of their proposal by Vander. For once he was glad to see the military hierarchal system of the Inquisition work in his favor. While Alexander may have served as the eyes and ears of Sazil, in the crusades proceedings, he was clearly outranked by the arch inquisitor. Not to say anything prevented lord inquisitor Stockly from shackling the arch inquisitor and his supporters in irons if he so wished. But arch inquisitors were often men encouraged to act with some degree of independence at the behest of individual members of the Masters Circle. Douvel had gathered from Vander’s actions and persona that he was such a character. Though, to who on the Masters Circle Vander owed allegiance toward, Douvel was unsure. More important than learning Vander’s personal motives, perhaps, was learning the intentions of the master he served. That more than anything would go a long way in figuring out what game the arch inquisitor was playing at. These of course were thoughts for the future. Before this he and Nacatha would need to survive this mission. And even worse. Survive Vander's company for several days straight.
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by Ageofthewolf Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:42 am

Nacatha sighed as she set boredly listening to the meeting only half paying attention and completely missing the pointing out of her tattoos as she tugged at the neckline of her dress. As it ended she listened to Eszrah for a moment before nodding. "Yea i will don't worry Sir." She looked back to Douvel for a moment before looking back to Eszrah as he left. "So what now...can i finally get out of this dress..." She glanced towards where Vander was for a moment before back to Douvel. "Preferably away from him"

Ageofthewolf

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:32 pm

"Come my dear," said Douvel as he held out his hand to Nacatha, "Let us return to the tent and get into something more comfortable."

He smiled with amusement at the rumpled neckline of the robes where Nacatha had been jerking at. Clearly she was not used to such a high neckline. With that thought in mind, his smile turned to something that could almost lascivious, and he continued, "We should have plenty of time to collect ourselves for the journey. That being said it would be wise to be timely. I don't mind making the Inquisitor wait, in fact I rather enjoy the idea, but the sooner we get on the road the more likely we will avoid any unwanted attention."

Last edited by CromTheConqueror on Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next